Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 AM

3,524 posts, read 9,439,012 times

Advertisements

The Syracuse Area has roughly 6,500+ hotel rooms. From reading over the reviews on the internet, I'd estimate that 1/3 of the hotels are good, 1/3 are OK and 1/3 are terrible. So be sure to check out the reviews online before you make reservations.

Just a quick overview of hotel locations. Most hotels in the Syracuse area aren't in ideal locations. For example: There are no commercial shopping districts directly off Interstate 81 or Interstate 90 in suburban Syracuse. Naturally hotels want easy access off major interstates. Therefore the dilemma is in the Syracuse area is this…either 1)hotels located off the interstates with virtually no major shopping centers nearby or 2) hotels on major commercial roads a little off the beaten path.

-Carrier Circle. Advantage: directly off I-90.
The main reason why the Carrier Circle area has so many hotels (about 15) is due to Syracuse's industrial past and I-90. (Carrier was once based in Syracuse and business travelers found the hotel nearby convenient.) Otherwise the location is not very close to any major shopping areas, and the general area around the hotels is run-down, industrial and ugly.

-Route 31 in Clay. Advantage: great shopping nearby and off I-481
Generally, this is the best area for hotel development but it is out of the way and many miles from downtown or SU. It has great nearby shopping, is attractive, safe and all around a nice area.

-Salina/Liverpool near I-90 and I-81. Advantage: Two Interstates
Only a couple restaurants are nearby but Carousel Mall is a couple miles away. Other than that, this area doesn’t offer much. Very old suburbs and not very attractive part of the Syracuse suburbs.

-Interstate 90- near I-690 exit. Advantage: next to the Thruway
This area is out in the middle of nowhere. Only a couple industrial parks are close by. No shopping or restaurants. Rather sparsely populated part of the area.

Where do I believe more hotels should be developed?

1) Cicero. Route 11 and Route 31 in Cicero are ideal locations for hotels, yet none have been built there in two decades. Shopping is close by and I-81 isn’t too far away either.

2) Route 31 in Clay near Great Northern Mall. Hampton Inn was recently built here and so far from reading the reviews... guests love the location near all the shopping malls.

City of Syracuse
Econo Lodge

Near Syracuse University
Parkview Hotel
Sheraton Hotel & Conference Center
Renaissance Syracuse Hotel
Genesee Grande Hotel

Downtown
Jefferson Clinton Hotel

Salina/Liverpool
Holiday Inn
Homewood Suites
Knights Inn
Ramada Inn
United Inn
Maple Wood Inn
Super 8
Clarion Inn
Hampton Inn
Best Western
Econo Lodge
Comfort Inn
Red Roof Inn

Very Close to Syracuse Airport
Holiday Inn Express
Best Western
Candlewood Suites

DeWitt/East Syracuse
Holiday Inn
Hampton Inn
Motel 6
Days Inn
Comfort Inn
Ramada Inn
Candlewood Suites
Doubletree Hotel
Super 8
Microtel
Fairfield
Residence Inn by Marriott
Courtyard by Marriot
Extended Stay America
Embassy Suites
John Milton Inn
Red Roof Inn
Econo Lodge
Hilton Garden Inn
Crest Hill Suites

Clay
Fairfield Inn
Super 8
Hampton Inn

Geddes
Best Western
Holiday Inn
Western Ranch Motor Inn

Van Buren
Comfort Inn
Microtel
Wingate Inn

Manlius
Craftsman Inn

Cicero
Budget Inn
Holiday Inn Express

If I left out any hotels, please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:23 PM

I found a link to the official stats:

http://www.nyshta.org/nyshta/www/pages/FocusEmails/07SeptemberFocus/08-07SmithTravel.pdf (broken link)

Syracuse, NY MSA

August 2007 Occupancy rates: 81.7
Hotel Rooms: 7,399
Hotels: 95

Here's a comparison to Rochester and Albany....

Rochester, NY MSA

August 2007 Occupancy rates: 77.8
Hotel Rooms: 9,626
Hotels: 108

Albany, NY MSA

August 2007 Occupancy rates: 78.3
Hotel Rooms: 11,198
Hotels: 133

Last edited by bellafinzi; 04-04-2008 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM

623 posts, read 1,818,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I found a link to the official stats:

http://www.nyshta.org/nyshta/www/pages/FocusEmails/07SeptemberFocus/08-07SmithTravel.pdf (broken link)

Syracuse, NY MSA

August 2007 Occupancy rates: 81.7
Hotel Rooms: 7,399
Hotels: 95

Here's a comparison to Rochester and Albany....

Rochester, NY MSA

August 2007 Occupancy rates: 77.8
Hotel Rooms: 9,626
Hotels: 108

Albany, NY MSA

August 2007 Occupancy rates: 78.3
Hotel Rooms: 11,198
Hotels: 133

keep in mind that the State Fair is in August. Whats the occupancy rates for the other months

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
keep in mind that the State Fair is in August. Whats the occupancy rates for the other months
Syracuse Area occupancy rate for the first 8 months of 2006 was 61.1

Compared to....

Rochester: 60.7
Albany: 61.4

Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Interesting, nearly 800 new hotel rooms have been proposed for the Syracuse area recently (not including the Destiny USA project)...here are just a few

175-room Armory Square Marriott Hotel

Marriott planned for Armory Square

120-room SpringHill Suites

SpringHill Suites to be newest hotel at Carrier Circle- Syracuse.com

new Mattydale hotel

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que to grow- Syracuse.com

Other projects include the Convention Center Hotel, the former Hotel Syracuse in downtown and the 123-room Staybridge Suites in Salina.

What I find interesting is that when the 1,000 room Destiny Hotel was first proposed, Syracusans complained that our market could not absorb that many new hotel rooms. Well, three years later and well over 1,000 new hotel rooms are either in the works for the Syracuse market or have been built in the since then...(without including Destiny USA).

Hmmm....guess those naysayers were wrong and the Syracuse market could handle the 1,000 new hotel rooms!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM

93,623 posts, read 124,375,652 times
What I think has helped that is the influx of Canadians that come here to shop now that the Canadian dollar is stronger than ours right now. You always see license plates from Ontario or Quebec around the area during the weekends. You still get some people from the adjacent states too.

Also, what helps the new hotels on route 31 is that many people that are heading to Oswego for say Harborfest or Oswego State can stay there with a big choice of shopping around too. It's not that far considering that Route 481 opens much of Oswego county to that strip of retail.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Photo of the Holiday Inn in Salina/Liverpool after the renovation:

Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 PM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,280 times
I drove by the new Holiday Inn Express they're building off Bridge Street in Dewitt, looking pretty good. There's another hotel going up, don't remember the label, behind Pep Boys and Chuck E Cheese in Syracuse, near the Erie/Thompson intersection.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 PM

93,623 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
I drove by the new Holiday Inn Express they're building off Bridge Street in Dewitt, looking pretty good. There's another hotel going up, don't remember the label, behind Pep Boys and Chuck E Cheese in Syracuse, near the Erie/Thompson intersection.
I think there is one going up down Route 298 from Carrier Circle, but don't quote me on that. There is something being built by the old Starbucks though.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
There is a hotel going up by Gander Mountain next I-81 in Cicero too.

I'll have to check out that Carrier Circle/Bridge Street/Erie Blvd area again soon. Seems like a lot has changed around there lately. Outside of Downtown and the industrial area around Carousel Mall that part of DeWitt needs all the help (development improvements) it can get since it is so representative of the Syracuse area.

As silly as it sounds, I think most visitors judge "Syracuse" based four areas: 1) Downtown, 2) SU Hill, 3) what you can see around Carousel Mall and 4) DeWitt from Erie Blvd up to Carrier Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area